Medical Office Administration
Medical Office Administration program prepares individuals for employment in medical and other health-care related offices.
In the Medical Office Administration program, students learn to provide office support to medical facilities including records management, medical report production, patient interface, insurance and billing responsibilities, telephone interaction, and confidentiality.
This curriculum prepares individuals for employment in medical and other health-care related offices. Course work will include medical terminology; electronic health record; medical coding, billing and insurance; legal and ethical issues; practice management software and formatting/word processing. Students will learn administrative and support functions and develop skills applicable in medical environments.
The program can be taken in either a one-year diploma or a two-year associate's degree. The Associate of Applied Science (AAS) program includes a work-based learning opportunity in our local communities and a preparatory course to sit for the certified professional coders exam (OST 249).
- Medical Office Administration, AAS
- Medical Office Administration Diploma
- Medical Office Administration Insurance Certificate
- Medical Office Administration Receptionist Certificate
- Medical Office Administration Certificate Pathway
Please see the catalog for more information about the degree option in this curriculum.
Employment opportunities are available in the following places
- Medical and Dental Offices,
- Insurance companies,
- Medical supply companies,
- Home Health Agencies,
- Long Term Care Facilities,
- and other health-care related organizations.
Medical Office Administration Core and Elective Courses
- MED 121-Medical Terminology I
- MED 122-Medical Terminology II
- HMT 110-Introduction to Healthcare Management
- HMT 211-Long-Term Care Administration
- OST 131-Keyboarding
- OST 136-Word Processing
- OST 148-Medical Coding, Billing and Insurance
- OST 149-Medical Legal Issues
- OST 164-Text Editing Applications
- OST 243-Medical Office Administration
- OST 247-Procedure Coding
- OST 248-Diagnostic Coding
- OST 263-Healthcare Customer Relations
- OST 288-Medical Office Admin Capstone
Additional Courses in the Associates Program
- OST 140-Internet Communication and Research
- OST 249-CPC Certification (Preparatory Course)
- OST 280-Electronic Health Records
- WBL- Work Based Learning