Apply Now Campus Tour

Veterans Benefits

The CVCC financial aid office can help students use their Veterans Educational Benefits, such as the GI Bill.

Veterans Administration Educational Benefits


Welcome to CVCC! We are proud to help coordinate your VA benefits with your educational goals.

CVCC is approved for Veterans Administration Educational Benefits. Most programs are approved but any student wishing to use VA benefits should contact the VA Certifying Official in Student Services.

Benefits Information:


  • You must qualify to receive veteran's education benefits. Eligibility is determined by Veterans Affairs, not CVCC.
  • Visit the GI Bill website to apply for benefits. The VA will provide you with a Certificate of Eligibility.
  • CVCC has no control of VA policy and rulings. It is your responsibility to comply with VA rules and procedures covered in appropriate laws, regulations, and pamphlets.

Getting Started

  • If you are a new student at CVCC and wish to use VA benefits, then open the New VA Student Checklist for instructions. No certification can be made until all these requirements are met.
  • VA students are responsible for the payment of tuition, fees, and books at registration. Only Chapter 33 students may defer tuition and fees by completing a tuition waiver each semester; see your Certifying Official.
  • VA payments are made directly to you after classes have begun. VA students are encouraged to apply for Federal Financial Aid as well; go to the CVCC Financial Aid web page for information.

Note: Corporate and Continuing Education programs are not approved for VA educational benefits. However, some certification programs may qualify for reimbursement by the VA. Check with the VA before enrolling in any continuing education program. Call 1-888-GIBILL1 or 1-888-442-4551.

Staying on Track

  • For detailed information regarding your responsibilities as a VA student, open Essential VA Information--Understand Your Responsibilities (PDF). Notify the VA Certifying Official in Student Services of any changes in your schedule.
    Program changes must be made in writing with the VA Certifying Official in Student Services, and will require an official transcript evaluation before certification in the new program.
  • Please remember, CVCC is not the VA and has no control of VA policy and rulings. It is your responsibility to comply with VA rules and procedures covered in appropriate laws, regulations, and pamphlets.



CVCC VA Certifying Official:
Elen Gibbs, Student Services
828-327-7000 Ext. 4205

Local VA Offices:

Hickory VA Office, 1st Plaza
1985 Tate Blvd, SE Hickory NC 28602
(828) 322-6616 

Newton VA Office
Government Center, Room 045
100-A SW Blvd. Newton, NC 28658 
(828) 465-8255


GI Bill website

  • The GI Bill website is your "go to" source for information. Here you can compare programs, apply for benefits, verify attendance and access other useful resources.

Direct Deposit

  • The VA recommends that you receive your education benefits via direct deposit. Federal law will eventually require all payments to be made this way. The request can be made in writing, by calling a VA toll free number, 877-838-2778, or online through WAVE. You will need your VA file number (social security number), the routing number for your financial institution, the account number, type of account--savings or checking. A mail-in form is available from the VA Certifying Official in Stud