In the Medical Office program, students learn to provide office support to medical facilities including records management, medical report production, patient interface, insurance and billing responsibilities, telephone interaction, and confidentiality.
This curriculum prepares individuals for employment in medical and other health-care related offices. Course work will include medical terminology; electronic health record; medical coding, billing and insurance; legal and ethical issues; practice management software and formatting/word processing. Students will learn administrative and support functions and develop skills applicable in medical environments.
The program can be taken in either a one-year diploma or a 2-year associates degree.The AAS degree program includes a work-based learning opportunity in our local communities and a preparatory course to sit for the certified professional coders exam (OST 249).
Employment opportunities are available in the following places:
- Medical and Dental Offices,
- Insurance companies,
- Medical supply companies,
- Home Health Agencies,
- Long Term Care Facilities,
- and other health-care related organizations.
Medical Office Administration Core and Elective Courses
- MED 114 - Professional Interaction in Health Care
- MED 121 - Medical Terminology I
- MED 122 - Medical Terminology II
- HMT 110 - Introduction to Healthcare Management
- HMT 211 - Long-Term Care Administration
- OST 132 - Keyboard Skill Building
- OST 136 - Word Processing
- OST 148 - Medical Coding, Billing and Insurance
- OST 149 - Medical Legal Issues
- OST 164 - Text Editing Applications
- OST 243 - Medical Office Administration
- OST 247 - Procedure Coding
- OST 248 - Diagnostic Coding
- OST 281 - Emerging Issues in the Medical Office (EHR)
Additional Courses in the Associates Program:
- OST 140 - Internet Communication and Research
- OST 249 - CPC Certification (Preparatory Course)
- OST 286 - Professional Development
» American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC)
» Catalog Program Listing
Instructor and Advisor
(828) 327-7000, ext. 4267
Director, Instructor and Advisor
(828) 327-7000, ext. 4523
To view these (PDF) documents you may need to download Free Adobe reader at www.adobe.com.