PHASE I - MINIMUM ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS (MARs)
To be considered for PHASE II, Competitive Selection, all applicants must complete the admission file (#1 below) by December 18, 2013 and meet the Minimum Admission Requirements (MARs) 2-7 in PHASE I by January 31, 2014.
Please note: Completing PHASE I does not guarantee acceptance into the program.
1. ATTEND STARTING POINTS* AND COMPLETE ADMISSION FILE BY DECEMBER 18, 2013. A completed admission file consists of:
- Current CVCC application for admission
- Official (sealed) high school or GED transcripts
- ALL official (sealed) college transcripts from the originating institution.
To officially apply to the program, bring all items that will complete your admission file and meet with an admissions staff member in Student Services. *Starting Points information is located at 2. ATTEND A MANDATORY NURSING SUCCESS SEMINAR INFORMATION SESSION. The dates are listed at http://www.cvcc.edu/Health_Services/Nursing/index.cfm.
3. MEET MINIMUM PLACEMENT TEST REQUIREMENTS. Placement Testing may be waived by having:
- College level English, math, or computer courses with a minimum grade of “C.”
- Appropriate SAT/ACT scores may waive placement tests:
MINIMUM SCORE REQUIREMENTS ARE:
OPAC, Office Proficiency Assessment Certification, to test fundamental computer skills. Required score = 70 or above.
- Applicants who do not meet the above minimum scores must enroll and complete the appropriate developmental courses by the end of fall semester prior to the January 31st deadline. Note: this additional course work must be added to the student’s list of MARs to be completed by the January deadline date.
- Placement test results are valid for three (3) years.
4. MEET BIOLOGY COMPETENCY (either from high school or college):
- Completion of a high school biology course with a grade of “C” or higher
- Completion of a college level biology course with a grade of “C” or higher
5. MEET CHEMISTRY COMPETENCY (either from high school or college):
- Completion of a high school chemistry course with a grade of “C” or higher
- Completion of a college level chemistry course with a grade of “C” or higher
6. REQUIRED CVCC GRADE POINT AVERAGE (GPA). Applicants must satisfy at least one of the GPA scenarios:
- Current or prior CVCC students must have a 2.50 cumulative or program GPA.
- Applicants who have attended another regionally accredited college or university and have completed six (6) semester hours or more toward the ADN program may use the program GPA earned at that college or university provided it is a 2.50 or higher. An official transcript is required to verify GPA.
7. COMPLETE TEST OF ESSENTIAL ACADEMIC SKILLS - TEAS V (5.0) EXAM. The following guidelines will be followed regarding the TEAS V requirement:
- Every applicant must take the TEAS V or provide TEAS V scores from ATI (www.atitesting.com) before January 31, 2014.
- Only test scores sent to CVCC from ATI will be accepted as official; scores will not be accepted from an off-campus test site.
- Test scores must be submitted from ATI by January 31st.
- Test scores prior to 2011 will not be considered.
- Only the TEAS V version will be accepted.
- An applicant is permitted to take the TEAS V once per academic year (Academic year = fall, spring, summer).
- A TEAS V Study Guide is available for purchase in the CVCC bookstore (The Trove) or can be purchased online at www.atitesting.com; sample questions can be viewed on www.atitesting.com.
- To schedule an appointment to take the TEAS V Exam,
contact the Testing Center at 828-327-7000, extension 4138. The TEAS V must be completed by January 31, 2014. If taken at an off-campus testing site, ATI must submit electronic scores to CVCC by 5:00 p.m. on January 31, 2014.
Completion of the MARs is not a guarantee of acceptance. Admission to the program is based on:
- completion of ADMISSION FILE (item 1) by December 18, 2013.
- completion of all remaining MARs (items 2-7) by January 31, 2014.
- the number of vacancies in the program.
- the competitive selection process.
Important information regarding acceptance, re-application, and transfer:
- Applicants will be notified of acceptance by April 2014 via CVCC email and by postal mail.
- Applicants not admitted for Fall 2014 must see an admissions staff member in Student Services to re-apply to be considered for a future year.
- CVCC does NOT use waiting lists for any health program.
- Health program applicants must re-apply for each year they wish to be considered for admission.
- Applicants seeking re-admission and students transferring from a nursing program at another college must meet the minimum requirements for admission outlined in 1–7 above and any additional requirements as determined by the Department of Nursing.
- For students transferring from another nursing program, an official college transcript and course syllabus for each nursing course completed must be provided to the Department of Nursing at least six weeks prior to the expected enrollment date. For transfer questions, contact Brenda Stepp, Department Head for Nursing, at 828-327-7000, extension 4344, or at email@example.com.
- Applicants are responsible for completing admission requirements and making sure all materials have been submitted to the College. Applicants are responsible for informing the College of any changes in personal information, such as name or mailing address. Refer to the following web page for instructions on how to update your personal information at CVCC.