- Follow the Buddy System when possible.
- Trust your instincts - Call out someone's name if you are scared.
- Do not carry large amounts of money.
- Avoid wearing baggy clothing when working around machinery.
- Enroll in safety classes.
- Turn on your emergency flashers, drive to a well-lit area and wait for the officer's siren, if you have doubts when being stopped by law enforcement.
- Change directions and go towards bright lights and other people, if you think you re being followed.
- Walk with confidence, avoid giving the impression that you would be an easy victim.
- Keep a safe distance from strangers.
- Plan ahead - know what you would do if attacked.
- Lock your valubales in your trunk prior to arriving at your destination.
- Hide or always carry an extra key to your vehicle.
- Keep a half-tank of gas at all times.
- Know your vehicle license plate number and register your vehicle on campus.
- Make sure you lock your doors when you get in your vehicle and when you exit your vehicle.
- Keep a spare tire and check the air in it.
- Keep the following items items in your vehicle:
- first aid kit,
- one day supply of snack food,
- cell phone,
- jumper cables
- empty gas can,
- battery-operated radio,
- fire extinguisher,
- water, and
- extra oil
Safety on Campus
- Contact Campus Safety and Security Office to request someone to walk out with you after dark.
- Notify Security if you see or hear anything suspicious.
- Inform your parent(s)/spouse of your class schedule.
- Avoid leaving books, book-bags, or purses unattended.
- Notify Security if your vehicle will be left overnight on campus.
- Look underneath and inside your vehicle before getting in.
- Be familiar with the campus and buildings.
- Walk between buildings in groups, when possible.
- Stay alert.
Contact CVCC Safety & Security if you have questions or an emergency on campus dial 711. Off campus dial (828) 327-7000, extension 711 during operating hours.