Students applying to Allied Health programs must meet all minimum requirements as set forth by their respective program of interest.
The Associate Degree Nursing, Radiography, Respiratory Therapy, and Surgical Technology programs require students to take the ATI TEAS (Test of Essential Academic Skills) as one component of their minimum requirements.
The Dental Hygiene program requires the PSB-HOAE (Psychological Services Bureau-Health Occupations Aptitude Exam) test as one of its minimum requirements.
Both types of Allied Health entrance exams require an appointment. Seating is limited, advanced planning is highly suggested to meet program deadlines; please do not wait until your deadline month to schedule a test.
The Campus Bookstore offers PSB and TEAS study manuals.
To schedule an appointment, contact the Testing Center: 828-327-7000 Ext. 4048.
The PSB exam is specifically designed for those students entering education programs for health professions. It is comprised of a series of tests that measure abilities, knowledge, and aptitudes considered important for successful performance of students in a health program. Following is the series of tests which comprise the PSB Exam:
• Academic Aptitude (Verbal, Arithmetic, Non-Verbal)
• Reading Comprehension
• Information in the Natural Sciences
• Vocational Adjustment Index
PSB exam scores are one part of the criteria used for the selection process of determining students accepted into the nursing program.
• A photo ID will be required prior to testing.
• The PSB exam has a non-refundable fee. The CVCC Business Office (Main or East Campus) can accept cash, check or credit cards. (Applicants should not pay for the exam until they are certain they will be taking the exam.) Your receipt must be presented to us on test day.
• The test is about 2 hours and 30 minutes long.
The TEAS exam is administered to applicants of the ADN--Associate Degree Nursing, Radiography, Respiratory Therapy, and Surgical Technology programs.
TEAS exam scores are one part of the criteria used for the selection process of determining students accepted into the healthcare programs.
The TEAS exam measures a student’s abilities in the following academic areas:
• English and Language Usage
• The TEAS exam has a non-refundable fee payable to the Business Office (Main or East Campus). The CVCC Business Office can accept cash, check or credit cards. Your receipt must be presented to us on test day.
• A photo ID will be required prior to taking the exam.
• Total test time is 209 minutes (which is 3.48 hours). However, to account for instruction time plan to be here for 4 hours.
• Students may prepare for the exam by ordering the TEAS Study Manual and/or the TEAS Online Practice Test from the » Assessment Technologies Institute (ATI)