Leaders aren't always born; sometimes they are formed.
Enhance employability—or the chances of being accepted at a four-year institution—by participating in CVCC's prestigious year-round Student Leadership Academy. Application deadline is Sept. 18.
Take part in service learning projects, learn how to develop a professional portfolio, identify individual leadership traits, learn how to manage conflict productively, develop critical thinking and decision-making skills, and enhance communication skills.
To be considered for the Student Leadership Academy, students must:
- Be enrolled in an associate degree program at CVCC.
- Have clearly demonstrated leadership potential, maturity, and the willingness to accept responsibility in classes/organizations.
- Be nominated by CVCC faculty, staff, or Administration; or self-nominate by Sept. 11
- Complete an application due Sept. 18.
- Have two (2) references submitted.
Benefits of Participation in SLA 2018-2019
- Leadership training that will make students more marketable as they seek employment
- Networking opportunities with college and community leaders
- Leadership resources, including materials, internal and external speakers, and experiential learning activities
- Opportunities to assist with special events at CVCC, such as registration, campus tours, speakers, Preview, graduation ceremonies, etc.
- Opportunity to serve as an intern in Student Services and other areas on campus
- Opportunities to represent the college as a “CVCC Ambassador”
- “CVCC Leadership Symposium” (An event featuring outside speakers where students will be both host and participant) Certificate of Completion to be presented at Awards Day
- Opportunity to be nominated for the NC Community College Student Leadership Program in Raleigh and other leadership awards
- A strong addition to resume and to four-year college applications
Enrollment is limited! If applications exceed available slots, interviews will be conducted.
2018-19 Academy Applications Due: September 18
Need more information?
Director, Library Services
(828) 327-7000, ext. 4411
Dean, School of Health and Public Services
(828) 327-7000, ext. 4462
Student Leadership Academy Forms
» Nomination Form (PDF) — Due September 11, 2018
» Application (PDF) — Due September 18, 2018
To view these (PDF) documents download the free Adobe reader at www.adobe.com.