Homegrown teaching scholars
Interested in becoming a Homegrown Teaching Scholar?
You can request an Application Packet by emailing your name, address, and telephone to firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (828) 327-7000, ext. 4411. Application coming soon.
REMEMBER: All applications MUST be postmarked by April 15 of each year.
- High school graduate or General Educational Development (GED) graduate.
- Resident of Alexander or Catawba County.
- US Citizen.
- Legal Resident of North Carolina.
- Enrollment in CVCC and submission of official copies of all transcripts.
- Completion of CVCC Foundation, Inc. Scholarship Application yearly while completing coursework at CVCC.
- Completion of FAFSA.
- ONE of the following:
- Minimum 3.0 High School GPA (classes may still count; only current GPA's are used).
- Minimum 83 on Reading COMPASS Placement Test.
- 500 Verbal SAT.
- Prior college credit (if applicable) must be within the past 3 years with a minimum 2.75 GPA from accredited institution
By April 1 of each year, all interested participants must submit
- Completed application, and
- Three letters of reference
Top scoring applicants will be contacted for interview.
Once accepted into the program, Homegrown Teaching Scholars:
- Participate in all Homegrown Teaching Scholars activities
- Enroll in a minimum of 6 semester hours per semester (not including summer semester)
- Maintain a 2.75 GPA
- Update file yearly through year 7 of employment
- Notify CVCC of address change or student information change (including need to defer enrollment)
- Repay HGTS loans by teaching 4 of 7 years following graduation from four-year institution