Student Diplomats function as official representatives of the college at special events on campus and in the community.
As Diplomats of Catawba Valley Community College, we are dedicated to serving and representing our college and community, sharing our mission and vision, along with our personal experiences.
We the Diplomats pledge to SOAR…
Serve with our utmost integrity and ability, and be accountable to our students, colleagues and our community,
Outreach to assist students, participate in college sponsored events, and build strong relationships in our community,
Adapt to changing needs, being open minded to solutions, different approaches and new perspectives, and
Respect the role and responsibility of being a Diplomat, demonstrating professionalism in all interactions.
Together, we will SOAR…
The CVCC Student Diplomats are a select group of individuals who function as official representatives of the college at special events on campus and in the community. As college diplomats, these students must possess solid leadership potential and strong interpersonal and communication skills. In addition, they must demonstrate commitment to academic excellence, to personal and professional growth, and to their institution. Finally, CVCC’s student diplomats must be willing to devote time to attending assigned events, preparing presentations, and serving as official college spokespersons as needed or requested.
Duties of Student Diplomats
- Conduct campus tours for internal and external stakeholders (prospective students, new students, schools, classes, guests, etc.).
- Host campus activities, representing the college as ushers, greeters, and/or guides at athletic events, curriculum-sponsored events (book read, forums, speakers, etc.), and other special on-campus events (graduation, open houses, Fall and Spring Fling, pinning ceremonies, club events, etc.).
- Provide support for the School of Success, Access, and Development by assisting with the admission and registration of students (hosting information areas on the first day of the semester, answering phone calls and emails, providing help with application completion, etc.) as requested and appropriate.
- Attend on-campus and off-campus recruitment events, such as sessions at local high schools, business fairs, etc.
- Promote student success by serving a role models and mentors for other CVCC students, focusing especially on at-risk and underserved populations.
- At the request of the president, represent the college at community events, such as club and civic organizational meetings, forums, etc. (serving as speakers or special guests).
- Complete all event requests and service projects.
- Design, oversee, conduct, and assess a major community service project for the current year.
Training for Diplomats
- Professional communication
- Public speaking
- Customer service
- Team building
- Leadership skills
- Presentations by selected administrators, faculty, and/or staff
- Campus tours
Benefits for Diplomats
- $750 per semester towards tuition
- CVCC diplomat attire and name tag
- Free training sessions on professional communication, customer service, dressing for success, team building, and specific leadership skills
- Exposure to opportunities to interact with constituents in leadership positions within the education, business, and community sectors
- Leadership opportunities
- Knowledge of the college’s history
- Resume enhancement
- Letters of reference
- Recognition at Awards Day
Required Standards of Conduct
Student diplomats are required to adhere to the following standards of conduct. Failure to do so will result in dismissal from the diplomat program and repayment of any tuition assistance provided under the Program.
- Conduct themselves in a professional manner in all interactions on and off campus.
- Follow all behavioral guidelines provided in training sessions.
- Model excellent customer service.
- Fulfill all program commitments.
- Maintain the eligibility requirements regarding …
- GPA (3.0 cumulative),
- Good academic standing (including attendance),
- Completion of all training sessions,
- Attendance at all meetings, and
- Completion of full-year service commitment.