ValleySim Hospital of Catawba Valley Community College.
What is ValleySim Hospital?
ValleySim Hospital is a state-of-the-art facility designed to provide students, the community and the region with a realistic 27,000 square foot hospital setting for education and research. Located on the 5th floor of the Cuyler A. Dunbar building, ValleySim Hospital offers a full hospital environment consisting of a Surgical Suite, two Intensive Care Rooms (ICU), eleven Acute Care/Emergency Rooms, Labor & Delivery, NICU/Nursery, two Nurses Stations, and a Patient Clinic Room. Each patient room includes a hospital bed, furniture, and headwall with functional suction, simulated oxygen and air. Realistic healthcare experiences can be simulated to meet the clinical training needs of healthcare students and practicing professionals.
Fee schedules are available for ValleySim services and experiences.
- A variety of patient simulators capable of simulating most any medical procedure ranging from basic patient care to the most advanced procedures. Patient simulators include Gaumard Victoria Birthing Simulator, Noelle Birthing Simulator, Premie Hal; Laerdal SimMan 3G, Sim Newbie, Nursing Baby, Nursing Kid, Nursing Anne, Nursing Kelly; CAE iStan, and MetiMan.
- A variety of medical equipment is available to create realistic hospital environments from acute care to critical care. Types of equipment include Hill-Rom VersaCare and TotalCare hospital beds, Hill-Rom Affinity birthing bed, Hill-Rom Isolettes, Demo Dose medication dispensing systems, Physio Control Life Pack 20, Welch-Allyn vital sign monitors, ventilators, IV pumps and much more.
- Simulation allows the learner to experience true to life patient care situations they may encounter in their professional career. There are opportunities to include live actors who portray patients and/or family members in scenarios. This allows interactions where learners can practice the interpersonal communication aspect of healthcare.
- Through wireless technology, simulation events can be created outdoors; inside a vehicle or other locations on the Catawba Valley Community College campus.
- Multi-angle video capture in all patient rooms allows debriefing capabilities in classrooms and an auditorium with seating up to seventy-five people.
|Acute Care Rooms (519-524, 526-528, 530 and 532) with Head Wall (Oxygen, Air, and Suction), HillRom bed, and furniture||11|
|Nurses Station (533) Medication Dispense System, Sterile Hood Vent, Six Workstations and various medical equipment||2|
|ICU Rooms (511 and 515) with dual Head Wall (Oxygen, Air, and Suction), HillRom Bed, and various medical equipment||2|
|Surgical Suite (510) with dual Head Wall (Oxygen, Air, and Suction), daVinci Surgical System, Surgical Table, Anesthesia Workstation, Surgical Lighting, Scrub Station, Stryker Stretcher and various medical equipment||1|
|Control/Observation Room (513) Two Workstations||1|
Women and Children's Health
|NICU/Nursery (553) with dual Head Wall (Oxygen, Air, and Suction), Two Infant Isolettes, and various medical equipment||1|
|Labor and Delivery Room (554) with Head Wall (Oxygen, Air, and Suction), Birthing Bed, Infant Radiant Warmer, and various medical equipment||1|
|Nurses Station (555) Medication Dispense System, Two Workstations and various medical equipment||1|
|Clinic Exam Room (556) Exam Table, and verious medical equipment||1|
|Respiratory Lab (547) with dual Head Wall (Oxygen, Air, and Suction), Ventilators, HillRom Total Care Bed, Stryker Stretcher, and various medical equipment||1|
Elecrtoneuodiagnostics and Polysomnography Lab
|Polysomnography and Electroneurodiagnostics Lab (537) with diagnostic equipment, Patient Recliner, Stryker Stretcher, and various medical equipment||1|
Hi-Fidelity Patient Simulators
|Total Number of Hi Fidelity Patient Simulators||11|
Hi-Fidelity Patient Simulators Mfg-Model
|CAE Meti Nursing with monitor (Adult)||2|
|CAE iStan with Monitor (Adult)||3|
|Laerdal SimMan 3G with monitor (Adult)||2|
|Gaumard Victoria Birthing with monitor (Adult)||1|
|Gaumard Premie HAL (Newborn)||1|
|Laerdal SimNewbie with monitor (Infant)||2|
Mid-Fidelity Patient Simulators
|Total Number of Mid-Fidelity Patient Simulators||23|
Mid-Fidelity Patient Simulators Mfg-Model
|Laerdal VitalSim Nursing Anne (Adult)||12|
|Laerdal VitalSim Nursing Kelly (Adult)||3|
|Gaumard Noelle Birthing (Adult)||1|
|Laerdal Nursing Kid (6 year old)||5|
|Laerdal Nursing Baby (6 month old)||2|
At ValleySim Hospital, there are opportunities to include live actors who portray patients, family members and/or other healthcare professional in scenarios. Simulated Participants (SPs), sometimes also referred to as Standardized Patients, help with the training and evaluation of healthcare professionals during some simulation experiences. Simulated Participants are coached to accurately and consistently recreate the history, personality, physical findings, and emotional state of an actual patient or other interactions with learners. For additional information about Simulated Participants, please contact us.
ValleySim Hospital offers a variety of equipment to help train healthcare professionals. Our equipment includes:
Victoria® Maternity Simulator
VersaCare® Hospital Bed
TotalCare® Hospital Bed
Affinity® Birthing Bed
Maquet Alphastar® Surgical Table
Demo Dose® Medication Dispensing Systems
Physio Control Life Pack 20®
Welch-Allyn® Vital Sign Monitor
Kangaroo® Feeding Pumps
Single Headwall (Acute Care and Labor & Delivery)
Dual Headwall (ICU 1 & 2, Surgical Suite and NICU/Nursery)
Patient Room Furnishings
Adult IV Arm
Airway Management Trainers