CVCC Alert and Weather
Catawba Valley Community College Alerts and Weather
All alert and weather messages will be displayed below. Please refresh your browser to get the latest updates.
All CVCC Campuses are operating on a normal schedule.
Inclement Weather Closing/Delay Information
Please review the following inclement weather closing/delay information. As a reminder, adverse weather information will be announced on our website, social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram), and through the Red Hawk Alert system. Inclement weather updates can also be accessed by dialing 828-327-7000 and selecting option 2.
What if it’s the first day of class and CVCC is closed or delayed due to inclement weather? What do I do?
- Get outside and play in the snow! Drink hot chocolate!
- If your class is an asynchronous online class (i.e., you do not meet in a classroom on campus with an instructor nor virtually at a scheduled time through Teams, WebEx, or Zoom) – get started with your class. Your class is available and ready for you to begin!
- If your class would meet during the closed or delayed period in either a synchronous online classroom or in-person on campus – your class is canceled for inclement weather. You do not need to do anything until the campus resumes delayed or normal operations. Your class will begin when you are able to meet your instructor in your traditional or virtual classroom once campus operations resume.
When and how are closing/delay decisions made for the college?The college President will make a decision concerning changes in schedules during all adverse weather conditions. Every effort will be made to make decisions prior to 6:00 AM for daytime operations and by 4:00 PM for evening operations. When the decision is made to “Close”, no faculty, staff, or students will be required to report, except for essential personnel as determined by the college President.
What if the college announces a delay?When a late opening is announced due to weather, all classes and activities scheduled prior to the announced opening time are canceled. Faculty, staff, and students are not expected to arrive on campus until the published opening time. The class schedule resumes at the published opening time. If a class or activity for that day includes time before and after the published opening time, then that class or activity should begin at the published opening time. For example (applies to all virtual and seated courses), in a situation where a late opening is announced for 10:00 AM on a Thursday.
- A seated or virtual class scheduled to begin at 9:00 AM and end at 9:50 AM on Thursday would not meet.
- A seated or virtual class scheduled to begin at 9:00 AM and end at 10:20 AM on Thursday would meet for 20 minutes (10:00 AM to 10:20 AM)
- A seated or virtual class scheduled to begin at 10:00 AM and end at 10:50 AM on Thursday would meet for the regularly scheduled 50 minutes.
In situations where the campus is “Closed” or operates under a late opening, virtual courses that meet online at a designated, synchronous time will follow the same procedures as those listed above for seated classes. For virtual and seated courses that are affected by a closing or a delayed opening for that day, make-up assignments will be posted on Blackboard to be completed.
Do Continuing Education classes follow the same schedule?In some situations, Continuing Education classes may be canceled completely when the college operates under a late opening. Please contact the East Campus front office for information regarding class cancellations due to adverse weather.
Does Alexander Early College (AEC) follow the same weather decisions as CVCC?
Due to the geographic differences between Alexander County and Catawba County, there may be times when there are conflicting decisions made by Alexander County Schools (ACS) and CVCC pertaining to school delays or cancellations. When this occurs, the CVCC AEC courses will follow the decision that will provide the highest level of safety for both students and faculty.
- AEC on 3-hr delay and CVCC on 2-hr delay. CVCC courses at AEC will follow the 3-hr delay. Canceled classes will have makeup assignments posted in Blackboard.
- AEC canceled and CVCC on 2 or 3-hr delay. CVCC courses at AEC will be canceled and makeup assignments will be posted in Blackboard.
- CVCC on 2 or 3-hr delay and AEC has no delay or cancellation. CVCC courses at AEC will follow the 2-hr delay. Canceled classes will have makeup assignments posted in Blackboard.
- CVCC cancels all day classes and AEC is on a 2 or 3-hr delay. All CVCC courses at AEC will be canceled and makeup assignments will be posted in Blackboard. 2-hr Delay: Classes that begin at 8:05 am and 9:00 am are canceled. All other classes meet as scheduled. 3-hr Delay: Classes that begin at 8:05 am, 9:00 am, 9:55 am and 10:10 am are canceled. All other classes meet as scheduled.
Does Challenger Early College follow the same weather decisions as CVCC?Challenger Early College students follow CVCC decisions pertaining to cancellations and delays.
Do CVCC Courses Located at a High School follow the same weather decisions as CVCC?CVCC CTE courses taught at a high school by a high school faculty member or a CVCC faculty member that is assigned full-time to the high school location will follow the school districts decisions pertaining to cancellations and delays. All other CVCC courses and CVCC faculty assigned to high school locations will follow the CVCC inclement weather closing/delay schedule. All Promise Scholar CVCC cohort classes are canceled whenever there is either a CVCC or a school system delay/cancellation.